Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wachiya!




Wachiya toute la monde!
Hope all is well for everyone, cause its awesome up here.
I am having a blast. We just got our internet today, yeah it took a while. I was at an orientation camp from the 17th until the 23rd, and we got up here around noon on that day. Funny little anecdote:
The luggage from my group weight almost 1000 lbs., so the plane couldn't take off from one of its stops in Val D'Or, so they removed our luggage from the plane.
Whats funny about this? Well we only found out once the plane was in the air and had already left the airport and our luggage was still sitting in the airport :D
Yes, it wasn't actually funny at all, it was very annoying, alas we got it safely the next day and brought it home.
Okay, so the orientation camp was tonnes of fun. We were with two other groups, and there was plenty of games and food and campfires and joking around. I even picked up a french accent for a couple of days because there were so many frenchies around me. So the other two groups left on the Sunday because their first placements were in Ville Ray and Ville Emant which are both in Montreal. So my group and myself had the whole camp to ourselves for 2 nights and 1 day, it was fun fun fun but we missed everyone else. Finally Tuesday came along and we all woke up late at 4 am so we had to rush to the airport, and there was no point to that because once we got their the Air Creebec desk wasn't even open. There is such thing as 'Cree Time'. They like to take their time doing things, like with this internet, that we were supposed to have last week and just got today after Marc (our Project Leader) actually took the computer into the place and made them do it. Either way, they are very nice but timid people, and they are very accomodatin and have been very nice to us.
Our house is brand new, with new appliances and everything, except for the cooking pots and all that stuff but who cares, they get the job done and everyone is happy with it.
There is a lot of construction up here and a lot of children. They seem to hang around the general store and eat candy a lot. They are extremely shy but a few of the brave ones approach us and
ask us stuff, and usually laugh at everything we say or do or whatever we are wearing.
The weather is not too bad, yet. The days are beautiful, nice t-shirt/sweater weather, but the nices are SO COLD! I guess thats what for coats are for though right?
We all took a walk out the other night and got to see the Northern Lights, which was, combined with the stars, probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen, and they weren't even in their prime, they were "faint" apparentyly. I almost cried because it was such a beautiful sight.
I've forgotten what I've written so I'm going to point out that I work at the daycare as a cook/receptionist, which I start next week and I am super excited.
And I have to share my laptop so I must be on my way. I will try to update more frequently.
Take care y'all
-Megan

p.s.- wachiya means hello/welcome in Cree...and CHIP-CHEE means STOP and its written in all these funky letters that i can describe as 'candycane, triangle, two squiggles, candycane dot' :D

1 comment:

Brit said...

Meggggieee!!!

So glad to hear your having fun
and I totally get your picking up the french accent thing whenever I go hunting with my dad and his french friends I always come back sounding french haha or If I go up north I come back sounding like a hick.
Speaking of which im going up north next weekend..should be interesting to see what happens haha
You're making me jealous with all the fun your having :P
I miss you! keep blogging.
And Don't touch the little children at the day care you freak I know you've been thinking of it.